The children are our future. Sound your voice and help stop the violence against our babies, children, youth, women and men.
Sexual abuse of our children is wrong and can no longer be tolerated or covered up.
The Grandmothers' Council has selected the Fall Solstice, September 21, as a special day to raise awareness of this issue and to demonstrate their concerns. They have walked each year since 2007.
The Sacred Walk will begin at 6:30 a. m. with a Pipe Ceremony at The Forks Market (Oodena).
The actual walk will begin at 10:00 a. m. and will end at 2:00 p. m.
The route is from OOdena to the Circle of Life Thunderbird House, 715 Main Street, and then back to Oodena.
For more information: Ka Ni Kanichihk: 204 - 953 - 5820
First Nations and Metis leaders are invited to walk alongside to sound one voice and one message.
Grandmothers cordially request that women participants wear long skirts.
WALK TO HONOUR AND PROTECT OUR CHILDREN!
More about Kookomug Gaa Na Daa Maawaad Abinoojiag Council (Grandmothers Protecting Our Children):
* Our teachings also tell us that we were all Aunties and Uncles, Grandmothers and Grandfathers to our children, which we have collectively helped to raise.
* We have honoured and protected those who were most vulnerable.
* We understand our responsibility, because we followed our sacred teachings.
* We must retrace our footprints and retrieve our Traditional bundles and walk strong and proud again as a People united.
* We must strive to be good role models for our children and youth.
* We are an honorable People, and we have beautiful traditions that are embedded in our teachings, ceremonies, songs and languages.
* Together we can stand proud, but, still, humble, and with determination and sound one voice of hope for our children: STOP THE VIOLENCE!
* We Acknowledge our Elders and say Meegwetch.
Have a great day. How can you miss - you're in Winnipeg!